College of Medicine/ Baghdad University/ Dermatology and Venereology Department.
Center of Dermatology / Medical City Hospital, Baghdad, Iraq
Document Type : Research Paper
Alopecia areata is an inflammatory, non-scaring type of hair loss. Microneedling is a new therapeutic procedure used in dermatology. It facilitates the absorption of topical therapies across the epidermis.
AIM OF STUDY:
Evaluating the efficacy of Microneedling combined with clobetasol propionate 0.05% cream versus clobetasol propionate 0.05% cream alone in treatment of alopecia areata.
PATIENTS AND METHODS:
This study was carried out on 20 patients and the total number of patches was 99. In the same patient, at least 2 patches were selected to be treated as group A or B; so, the 99 patches were divided in to two groups.
Group A: Microneedling combined with clobetasol propionate 0.05% cream: 51 patches (from 20 patients) were treated using a dermapen devise. The cream was applied before and after microneedling and a total of four sessions were done at 2 weeks interval, then patients were seen after 2 weeks from the last session for follow up. Group B: clobetasol propionate 0.05% cream alone: 48 patches (from the same 20 patients) were treated, the cream was applied twice daily with gentle massage for 3-5 minutes for 8 weeks duration. Patients were seen at 2 weeks interval.
At 8th week visit: the response to treatment in group A was seen in 58.8% of the patches and 63.3% of them showed complete coarse hair regrowth while in group B, the response to treatment was seen in 58.3% of the patches and 32.1% of them showed complete coarse hair regrowth. When two groups were compared regarding complete hair regrowth there was statistically significant difference.
Combination of Microneedling with clobetasol propionate 0.05% cream is a promising, safe and easy to perform technique in the treatment of alopecia areata
- Strazzulla LC, Wang EH, Avila L, et al. Alopecia areata: Disease characteristics, clinical evaluation, and new perspectives on pathogenesis. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2018 Jan 1; 78:1-2.
- Kranseler JS, Sidbury R. Alopecia areata: Update on management. Indian Journal of Paediatric Dermatology. 2017; 18:261-66.
- Kassim J.M, Shipman A.R, Szczecinska W,et al. How effective is intralesional injection of triamcinolone acetonide compared with topical treatments in inducing and maintaining hair growth in patients with alopecia areata? A Critically Appraised Topic. British Journal of Dermatology. 2014; 170:766-71.
- Sperling LC, Sinclair RD and El Shabrawi-Caelen L. Alopecias. In: Bolognia JL, Schaffer JV and Cerroni L. Dermatology. Fourth edition. Elsevier China; 2018:1162-85.
- Finner AM. Alopecia areata: Clinical presentation, diagnosis, and unusual cases. Dermatologic Therapy 2011;24:348-54.
- Messenger AG, Sinclair2 RD, Farrant P, et al. Acquired Disorders of Hair. In: Griffiths CEM, Barker J, Bleiker T, et al. Rook’s Textbook of Dermatology. Ninth Edition. V 3. Wiley-Blackwell New Delhi; 2016:89.1-89.77
- Iriarte c, Awosika O, Rengifo-Pardo M, et al. Review of applications of microneedling in dermatology. Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology 2017;10:289–98.
- Hou A, Cohen B, Haimovic A, et al. Microneedling: A Comprehensive Review. Dermatologic Surgery 2017;43:321–39.
- Sharquie KE, Noaimi AA and Hafedh Z. Intralesional Therapy of Alopecia Areata by 1% Lactic Acid Solution versus Triamcinolone Acetoind Injection (Interventional, Case Controlled, Single Blinded, Comparative Study). Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences 2015;4:39-45.
- Alsantali A. Alopecia areata: a new treatment plan. Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology 2011;4:107–15.
- Fertig RM, GamretAC, CervantesJ et al. Microneedling for the treatment of hair loss?.Journal of Eurepian academy of dermatology and venerilogy 2018; 32:564-69.
- Chandrashekar B, Yepuri V, Mysore V. Alopecia areata-successful outcome with microneedling and triamcinolone acetonide. Journal of Cutaneous Aesthetic Surgery 2014;7:63-64.
- Beergouder SL and Reshme A. Scalp micro-needling: A new tool in the treatment of alopecia totalis. Journal of Indian Association of Dermatologist, Venereologist and Leprologists (IADVL) Karnataka Branch 2020;4;164-66.
- Asad U, Wallis D & Tarbox M. Ophiasis alopecia areata treated with microneedling. Baylor University Medical Center Proceedings 2020;33:413-14.
- Dhurat R, Sukesh MS, Avhad G, et al. A Randomized Evaluator Blinded Study of Effect of Microneedling in Androgenetic Alopecia: A Pilot Study. International Journal of Trichology 2013; 5: 6–11.
- Dhurat R and Mathapati S. Response to Microneedling Treatment in Men with Androgenetic Alopecia Who Failed to Respond to Conventional Therapy. Indian Journal of Dermatology 2015; 60:260-63.
- Molinelli E, Campanati A, Brisigotti V, et al. Efficacy and Safety of Topical Calcipotriol 0.005% Versus Topical Clobetasol 0.05% in the Management of Alopecia Areata: An Intrasubject Pilot Study.