Ghazi Al Hariri Teaching Hospital, Baghdad, Iraq
Document Type : Research Paper
Post burn contractures of joints can produce significant impact on quality of life by interfering with the ability to perform activities of living. Varieties of techniques are available for coverage of defect following contracture release. A Central axis propeller flap a strategy that used in patient with contracture deformities. It's a reliable method of reconstruction in release of axillary, elbow and popliteal region of knee joints contractures.
To evaluate of central axis propeller flap in wide joints post burn contractures release.
PATIENTS AND METHODS:
Between October 2017 to May 2019 ten patients with wide joints post burn contracture, their age range between (10-45) years .A central axis (propeller) flap based on random sub dermal pedicle of two design was used (rhomboid design for eight patients and Namaste design for two patients) by designed and elevated as a “propeller,” and then rotated by 90° to straddle the defect after contracture release.
Good functioning result in all patients indicated by good range of motion in affected joints and no serious complication, only one case of superficial epidermal sloughing was managed conservatively.
Central axis propeller flaps are reliable methods for surgical management of post burn contractures with good range of motion .However it used scary tissue, a result appearance is cosmetically acceptable for those patients, when the functions the primary concern.
- Avun Goel, prabhat shrivastava. Post burn scar and scar contracture, Indian J plast surg, 2010;43: 563-71.
- David N. Herndon. Total burn care, 4th. Ed. Saunders Elsevier, 2012;15:126.
- Robert L. sherdan. Burns: A practical approach to immediate treatment and long term care, 1st ed., Thieme medical publisher , New york, 2012L95.
- George Broughton, Ross Is zbar. Burns and post burn reconstruction, selected reading in plastic surgery, 2005; 10:1-21.
- Richard J. schwar 2. Management of post burn contractures of the upper extremity, journal of burn cone and research, 2007;28: 212-19.
- John A. Clarke. A color atlas of burn injuries, 1st. Ed., Chlapman and Hall medical, London,2010: 102-4-5.
- Donald A. Hudson, Anthony Renshow. An a logarithm for the release of burn contracture of extremities, Burns, 2006; 32:663-68.
- David N. Herndon, total burn care, 3rd ed., saunders Elsevier, 2007;584: 733,34, 678.
- Gurcan Aslan et al. the propeller flap for postburn elbow contracture, burns, 2006;32:112-15.
- Durga karki, Rageeve B. Ahuja. A review and critical appraisal of central axis flaps in axillary and elbow contractures burns and trauma, 2017;5:13.
- Husam Hosny, wael El-shaer. The eight limb modified propeller flap – a safer new technique, burns. 2011; 37:905-9.
- Laves. Peter kaolz, Marc G. Jeschke, Raymund E Horch, markus kuntscher, Ravel Brychta. Hand book of burns reconstruction and rehabilitation, vol. 2, 1st.ed, springer-verlag/wien, New York, 2012: 140.
- Hike hyakusoku, Dennis P. orgell, Luc Teot, Julian J pribaz, Rei ogawa. Color atlas of burn reconstructive surgery, 1st. Ed; springer- verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2010:44, 198.
- R.C. Young, A. Burd. Pediatric upper limb contracture release following burn injury, Burns, 2004;40: 723-28.
- Shawky shaker Gad et al. different surgical modalities for management of post burn flexion contracture of elbow, Down lodes free from http://www.mmj.eg.net cited on tusedoj, may, 15, 2015, Ip: 188.8.131.52.
- Faith uygur et al. Reverse flow flap used in upper extremity burn contracture, burns, 2008; 84:1196-1204.
- Geoffrey C.Gurtner,Peter C.Neligan,Danial Z.Lin.Plastic Surgery.4th ed;Elsevier 2018:198,207,208,10.
- Kenji Hayashida and Sadanori Akita.Surgical treatment algorithms for post-burn contracture,burn and trauma 2017 5;9.
- Onder Tan, Bekir Atik, Duygn Ergen. A new method in the treatment of post burn scar contracture: double opposing V-Y-Z plasty, burns, 2006; 32:499-503.