Ghazi Al Hariri Teaching Hospital, Baghdad, Iraq
Document Type : Research Paper
Dorsal reconstruction and augmentation for a saddle nose or generalized under projecting nose (familial ) require some type of grafting that increase the volume, raise the radix , raise the entire dorsum ,camouflage the osseocartilaginous junction or any irregularity along the dorsum, diced cartilage graft wrapped with fascia lata used to achieve that .
AIM OF THE STUDY :
The purpose of the study was to assess the aesthetic and functional outcome of dorsal augmentation by diced cartilage graft wrapped with fascia lata.
PATIENTS AND METHODS:
Between July 2018 and May 2019. 7 patients included ,4 females and 3 males ,their age ranged between 20 to 37 years ,5 were primary and 2 secondary case rhinoplasty,2 operated by closed approach , 3 open approach and 2 of the them the graft placed by intercartilaginous incision. Subjective evaluation was done by clinical and photographic assessment during postoperative follow up period 3-12 months.
All the patients were satisfied with the postoperative results. with improvement of aesthetic shape and respiratory function .
Diced cartilage graft wrapped with fascia lata is an effective technique for nasal dorsal augmentation.
- Harley S. Dresner ,Peter A . Hilger An overview of nasal dorsal augmentation . Semin Plast Surg 2008;22:65-73.
- Abel-Jan Tasman . Rhinoplasty – indications and techniques. GMS Current Topics in Otorhinolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery 2007,Vol.6, ISSN 1865-1011.
- Vartanian AJV. Saddle nose rhinoplasty. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/840910 overview#0104. Accessed February 18, 2012.
- Tardy ME Jr, SchwartzM, Parras G. Saddle nosedeformity: autogenous graft repair. Facial Plast Surg. 1989;6:121-34.
- Daniel RK, Brenner KA. Saddle nose deformity: a new classification and treatment. Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am. 2006;14:301-12.
- Sang Min Hyun, Yong Ju Jang.Treatment Outcomes of Saddle nose Correction. JAMA Facial Plast Surg. 2013;15:280-86.
- Calvert J, Brenner K. Autogenous dorsal reconstruction: maximizing the utility of diced cartilage and fascia. Semin Plast Surg. 2008;22:110–119.
- Daniel RK ,The Role of Diced Cartilage Graft in Rhinoplasty . Aesthetic Surg J 2006;26:209-13
- Daniel RK, Calvert JW. Diced cartilage grafts in rhinoplasty surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2004;113:2156-71.
- Kelly MH, Bulstrode NW, Waterhouse N. Versatility of diced cartilage-fascia grafts in dorsal nasal augmentation. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007;120:1654-59.
- Young F. Autogenous cartilage grafts. Surgery 1941;10:7.
- Peer LA. Diced cartilage grafts. Arch Otolaryngol 1943;38:156–65.
- Peer LA. Reconstruction of the auricle with diced cartilage grafts in a Vitallium ear mold. Plast Reconstr Surg 1948;3:653–66.
- Wilflingseder P. Cranioplasties by means of diced cartilage and split rib grafts. Minerva Chir 1983;38:837–43.
- Daniel RK. Diced cartilage grafts in rhinoplasty surgery: current techniques and applications. Plast Reconstr Surg 2008;122:1883-91.
- Chang CS, Bergeron L, Chen PK. Diced cartilage rhinoplasty technique for cleft lip patients. Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2011;48:663–69.
- Manafi A, Hamedi ZS, Manafi A, RajabianiA, Rajaee A, Manafi F. Injectable cartilage shaving: an autologous and long lasting filler material for correction of minor contour deformities in rhinoplasty. World J Plast Surg 2015;4:74-78.
- Manafi A et al Evidence-Based Efficacy of Autologous Grated Cartilage in Primary and Secondary Rhinoplasty World J Plast Surg 2017;6:137-43.
- Erol O. The Turkish delight: a pliable graft for rhinoplasty. Plast Reconstr Surg 2000;105:2229–41.
- Cakmak O, Bircan S, Buyuklu F, Tuncer I, Dal T, Ozluoglu LN. Viability of crushed and diced cartilage grafts: a study in rabbits. Arch Facial Plast Surg 2005; 7:21–26.
- Calvert JW, Brenner K, DaCosta-Iyer M, Evans GR, Daniel RK. Histological analysis of human diced cartilage grafts. Plast Reconstr Surg 2006;118:230–36.
- Brenner KA, McConnell MP, Evans GR, Calvert JW. Survival of diced cartilage: an experimental study. Plast Reconstr Surg 2006;117:105–15.
- Ma JG, Wang KM, Zhao XH, Cai L, Li X. Diced Costal Cartilage for Augmentation Rhinoplasty. Chin Med J 2015;128:2679-81.
- Alireza Mohebbi et al .Cenoderm vs. Fascia Lata for the Prevention of Dorsal Nasal Irregularities in Rhinoplasty.Iranian J of Otorhinolarngology,2016;28:241-48.
- Chad R Gordon et al . Diced Cartilage Grafts Wrapped in Alloderm for Dorsal Nasal Augmentation. J Craniofac Surg 2011;22:1196-99.
- Davis RE, Wayne I. Rhinoplasty and the nasal SMAS augmentation graft. Arch Facial Plast Surg 2004;6:124–32.
- Baker SR. Diced cartilage augmentation: Early experience with the Tasman technique. Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2012;18:1-5.
- Tasman AJ. Advances in nasal dorsal augmentation with diced cartilage. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013;21:365–71.
- Tasman AJ, Diener PA, Litschel R. The diced cartilage glue graft for nasal augmentation: Morphometric evidence of longevity. JAMA Facial Plast Surg. 2013;15:86–94.
- Bracaglia R, Tambasco D, DʼEttorre M, Gentileschi S.“Nougat graft”: Diced cartilage graft plus human fibrin glue for contouring and shaping of the nasal dorsum. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2012;130:741e–3e.
- Bullocks JM, Echo A, Guerra G, Stal S, Yuksel E. A novel autologous scaffold for diced-cartilage grafts in dorsal augmentation rhinoplasty. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2011;35:569–79.
- J Atkins. Nasal airway studies, Saddle nose deformity. Journal ofthe Royal Society ofMedicine; 1979 ; 72: 846-47.