Chemical Pathology, Dhi-Qar Health Directorate- Iraq.
Department of Biochemistry- College of Medicine/ University of Baghdad- Iraq.
Document Type : Research Paper
The assessment of the level of some biochemical parameters (liver function test, renal function test, serum ferritin and plasma D-dimer) revealed that the Covid-19 infection affected the level of them. The study aimed to demonstrate the biochemical changes of liver and renal functions tests, serum ferritin and plasma D-dimer in Iraqi patients with Covid-19 disease.
PATIENTS AND METHODS:
A retrospective cross sectional study conducted in Isolation centers for Covid-19 patients in Baghdad and AL-Najaf AL-Ashraf Governorate from July 2020 to February 2021. Forty five males and 76 females were included in this study. The exclusion criteria were patients below eighteen years old age, pregnant women, and subjects with hematological diseases, cardiovascular disease, liver diseases and renal diseases. All parameters measured by automated method by Beckman coulter Au480 chemistry analyzer.
Covid-19 infection was more in females than males and it is more in post middle age (41-50 years old). In the current study, most of the biochemical parameters (AST, ALT, urea, serum ferritin, AST/ALT ratio<1 and plasma D-dimer) increased through the period of Covid-19 infection of them AST, ALT, urea and AST/ALT ratio <1 were more increased in females. The age was significantly negative and positive correlated with the activity of AST and urea concentration respectively. The gender was significantly positive correlated with AST/ALT ratio. There was no correlation between plasma D-dimer and serum ferritin with other biochemical parameters except for AST activity which was significantly positive correlated with serum ferritin.
Most of the biochemical parameters (AST, ALT, urea, plasma D-dimer and serum ferritin) were affected by Covid-19 infection which indicated organs damage. The age and gender were affected the activity and level of some biochemical parameters (AST and Urea were significantly negative and positive correlated with age respectively and AST/ALT ratio was significantly positive correlated with gender).
- Lauer, S.A., Grantz, K.H., Bi, Q., Jones, F.K., Zheng, Q., Meredith, H.R., Azman, A.S., Reich, N.G. and Lessler, J., 2020. The incubation period of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) from publicly reported confirmed cases: estimation and application.Annals of internal medicine,172:577-82.
- He, X., Lau, E.H., Wu, P., Deng, X., Wang, J., Hao, X., Lau, Y.C., Wong, J.Y., Guan, Y., Tan, X. and Mo, X.,. Temporal dynamics in viral shedding and transmissibility of COVID-19.Nature medicine, 2020;26:672-75.
- Li, H., Liu, L., Zhang, D., Xu, J., Dai, H., Tang, N., Su, X. and Cao, B.,. SARS-CoV-2 and viral sepsis: observations and hypotheses.The Lancet, 2020;395:1517-20.
- Tripodi, A.,. D-dimer testing in laboratory practice. Clinical chemistry, 2011;57:1256-62.
- Wang, W., Knovich, M.A., Coffman, L.G., Torti, F.M. and Torti, S.V.,: Serum ferritin: past, present and future. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA)-General Subjects, 2010;1800:760-69.
- Lala, V., Goyal, A., Bansal, P. and Minter, D.A., 2020: Liver function tests. StatPearls.
- Ding, T., Liu, X., Tao, Z., Liu, T., Chen, T., Zhang, W., Shen, X., Liu, D., Wang, S., Pang, B. and Wu, D. Atomically precise dinuclear site active toward electrocatalytic CO2 reduction.Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2021;143:11317-24.
- Liu, J., Li, S., Liu, J., Liang, B., Wang, X., Wang, H., Li, W., Tong, Q., Yi, J., Zhao, L. and Xiong, L.,. Longitudinal characteristics of lymphocyte responses and cytokine profiles in the peripheral blood of SARS-CoV-2 infected patients.EBioMedicine,2020;55:102763.
- Benedé-Ubieto, R., Estévez-Vázquez, O., Flores-Perojo, V., Macías-Rodríguez, R.U., Ruiz-Margáin, A., Martínez-Naves, E., Regueiro, J.R., Ávila, M.A., Trautwein, C., Bañares, R. and Bosch, J.Abnormal Liver Function Test in Patients Infected with Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2): A Retrospective Single-Center Study from Spain. Journal of Clinical Medicine, 2021;10:1039.
- Tenugu, S., Pranoty, A., Mamta, S.K. and Senthilkumaran, B.,. Development and organisation of gonadal steroidogenesis in bony fishes-A review.Aquaculture and Fisheries,2021;6:223-46.
- Carubbi, F., Salvati, L., Alunno, A., Maggi, F., Borghi, E., Mariani, R., Mai, F., Paoloni, M., Ferri, C., Desideri, G. and Cicogna, S.,. Ferritin is associated with the severity of lung involvement but not with worse prognosis in patients with COVID-19: data from two Italian COVID-19 units. Scientific Reports, 2021;11:1-11.
- Qu, X., Yu, Z., Ruan, D., Dou, A., Su, M., Zhou, Y., ... & Chu, D.. Enhanced electrochemical performance of Ni-rich cathode materials with Li1. 3Al0. 3Ti1. 7 (PO4) 3 coating.ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering,2020;8: 5819-30.
- Xiang, H.X., Fei, J., Xiang, Y., Xu, Z., Zheng, L., Li, X.Y., Fu, L. and Zhao, H., 2021. Renal dysfunction and prognosis of COVID-19 patients: a hospital-based retrospective cohort study.
- Huang, I., Pranata, R., Lim, M.A., Oehadian, A. and Alisjahbana, B.C-reactive protein, procalcitonin, D-dimer, and ferritin in severe coronavirus disease-2019: a meta-analysis. Therapeutic advances in respiratory disease, 2020;14:1753466620937175.
- Hoang, T.X., Phan, L.M.T., Vo, T.A.T. and Cho, S.,. Advanced Signal-Amplification Strategies for Paper-Based Analytical Devices: A Comprehensive Review.Biomedicines, 2021;9:540.
- Sharp, K. and Ghodke, B., D-dimer Levels in COVID-19 Patients and Its Correlation with Age and Gender: A Retrospective Analysis.
- Saini, R.K., Saini, N., Ram, S., Soni, S.L., Suri, V., Malhotra, P., Kaur, J., Verma, I., Sharma, S. and Zohmangaihi, D., 2020. COVID-19 associated variations in liver function parameters: a retrospective study.Postgraduate Medical Journal.