Dept. of Histopathology, Iraqi Board for Medical Specialties, Babil Center, Iraq.
Dept. of Pathology, Babil College of Medicine, University of Babylon -Iraq .
Dept. of gynecology, Babil College of Medicine, University of Babylon –Iraq.
Document Type : Research Paper
Ovarian serous neoplasms are the most common type of epithelial ovarian tumors, classified as Low-Grade Serous Neoplasia (inclusive of benign serous cyst adenoma, borderline serous tumors, low grade serous carcinoma) and High-Grade Serous Carcinoma. P16 is a cyclin-dependent kinase-IV inhibitor that mediates its action through inhibitory effect on the cell cycle, Ki-67 determine the proliferating cells of the tumor, is strictly connected with cellular cycle.
The aim of the present study is to diagnostic evaluate of p16 and ki67 protein expression in of ovarian serous tumors in Iraqi patients.
MATERIAL AND METHODS:
52 cases of ovarian serous tumors specimens were studied. Using p16 (Mouse monoclonal p16 antibody, Cytoplasm and Nuclear expression) and ki67 (monoclonal mouse antihuman Ki-67/MIB-1 antibody, Nuclear expression).
There is a significant correlation of p16 and ki67 expression in ovarian serous tumors. P16 Immune reactive score cases with score 3 of high grade serous carcinoma 69.2%, low grade serous carcinoma 7.7%, borderline serous 15.4%, and no any case of ovarian serous cyst adenoma. Ki67 labeling index expression in all cases of ovarian serous cyst adenoma, 76.92% borderline tumors, 92.96% low grade serous tumors with low labeling index. While 100% high grade serous carcinoma, 23.07% borderline tumors, 7.7% low grade serous carcinoma with high ki67 labeling index.
Significant correlation of p16 expression in ovarian serous tumors, with strong diffuse expression in high grade serous carcinoma. P16 can be used as a diagnostic marker. Ki67 has been reported to be of a diagnostic value in differentiation of low grade serous carcinoma from high grade serous carcinoma.
- Goldblum J, Lamps L, McKenney J, Myers J. Rosai and Ackerman's surgical pathology. 11th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2018;1375-79.
- Nucci M, Parra-Herran C. Gynecologic pathology. 2nd ed. philadelphia, PA19103- 2899: Elsevier; 2019; 579-602.
- Hauptmann S, Friedrich K, Redline R, Avril S. Ovarian borderline tumors in the 2014 WHO classification: evolving concepts and diagnostic criteria. Virchows Archiv. 2016;470:125-42.
- Ahn G, Folkins A, McKenney J, Longacre T. Low-grade Serous Carcinoma of the Ovary. American Journal of Surgical Pathology. 2016;40:1165-76.
- Hussein MJ, Salai JS. Clinical and histopathological features of ovarian cancer in Rizgary Hospital/Erbil City from 2014 to 2017. Med J Babylon 2019;16:112-18
- Wing-Cheuk Wong R, Palicelli A, Hoang L, Singh N. Interpretation of p16, p53 and mismatch repair protein immunohistochemistry in gynaecological neoplasia. Diagnostic Histopathology. 2020;26:257-77.
- Rabban J, Soslow R, Zaloudek C. Immunohistology of the Female Genital Tract. Diagnostic Immunohistochemistry. 2010;:690-762.
- Li J, Poi MJ, Tsai MD. Regulatory mechanisms of tumor suppressor P16(INK4A) and their relevance to cancer. Biochemistry 2011;50:5566e82.
- Sundov D, Caric A, Mrklic I, Gugic D, Capkun V, Hofman I et al. P53, MAPK, topoisomerase II alpha and Ki67 immunohistochemical expression and KRAS/BRAF mutation in ovarian serous carcinomas. Diagnostic Pathology. 2013;8.
- Laishram S, Gupta V, Bhake A, Wankhede A, Agrawal D. To assess the utility of proliferative marker Ki-67 in surface epithelial ovarian tumor. Journal of Datta Meghe Institute of Medical Sciences University. 2019;14:6.
- Agrawal P, Kulkarni D, Chakrabarti P, Chourasia S, Dixit M, Gupta K. Clinicopathological spectrum of ovarian tumors: A 5-year experience in a tertiary health care center. Journal of Basic and Clinical Reproductive Sciences. 2015;4:90.
- Begum S, Begum F, Gani N, Rahman F, Jahan F. Relationship of Age and Different Histological Types of Ovarian Tumors. Bangladesh Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology. 2017;32:99-105.
- Deng F, Xu X, Lv M, Ren B, Wang Y, Guo W et al. Age is associated with prognosis in serous ovarian carcinoma. Journal of Ovarian Research. 2017;10.
- Ali M, Seadah S, Attiah S. Significance of E-cadherin and KI67 expression in ovarian serous tumors. Egyptian Journal of Pathology. 2019;39:349.
- O'Neill C, McBride H, Connolly L, Deavers M, Malpica A, McCluggage W. High-grade ovarian serous carcinoma exhibits significantly higher p16 expression than low-grade serous carcinoma and serous borderline tumour. Histopathology. 2007;50:773-79.
- O. Nazlioglu,İ. Ercan2, T. Bilgin,S. Ozuysal Expression of p16 in serous ovarian neoplasms. 2010;31:312-14.
- Schlosshauer P, Deligdisch L, Penault-Llorca F, Fatemi D, Qiao R, Yao S et al. Loss of p16INK4A Expression in Low-grade Ovarian Serous Carcinomas. International Journal of Gynecological Pathology. 2011;30:22-29.
- Sallum L, Andrade L, Ramalho S, Ferracini A, de Andrade Natal R, Brito A et al. WT1, p53 and p16 expression in the diagnosis of low- and high-grade serous ovarian carcinomas and their relation to prognosis. Oncotarget. 2018;9:15818-27.
- Manu V, Hein T, Boruah D, Srinivas V. Serous ovarian tumors: Immunohistochemical profiling as an aid to grading and understanding tumorigenesis. Medical Journal Armed Forces India. 2018;76:30-36.
- Rambau P, Vierkant R, Intermaggio M, Kelemen L, Goodman M, Herpel E et al. Association of p16 expression with prognosis varies across ovarian carcinoma histotypes: an Ovarian Tumor Tissue Analysis consortium study. The Journal of Pathology: Clinical Research. 2018;4:250-61.
- Pujani M, Choudhury M, Goyal S. A cytohistological study of Ki67 expression in ovarian tumors. Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology. 2011;54:21.
- Sallum L, Andrade L, Bastos Eloy da Costa L, Ramalho S, Ferracini A, Natal R et al. BRCA1, Ki67, and β-Catenin Immunoexpression Is Not Related to Differentiation, Platinum Response, or Prognosis in Women With Low- and High-Grade Serous Ovarian Carcinoma. International Journal of Gynecologic Cancer. 2019;28:437-47.
- Pawel Surowiak, Verena Materna, Adam Maciejczyk, Marek Pudelko,Decreased expression of p16 in ovarian cancers represents an unfavourable prognostic factor in 2008;23:531-38.