This study is carried out throughout the year 2009 to show the prevalence of amoebic dysentery among the children affected with diarrhea in Diyala who were referred from the primary health centers to the pediatric clinic in Al-Battool teaching hospital.
This study puts the light on the extent of distribution of amoebic dysentery as a cause of diarrhea among children in our community and for thorough recognition of this social problem and its important drawbacks on the general health.
PATIENTSANDMETHODS: Children affected with diarrhea who were referred from the primary health centers to the pediatric clinic in Al-Battool teaching hospital, the center of Diyala province. Examination of a freshly passed stool within 30minutes was done and more than two samples for every case examined carefully by an expert laboratory personnels.
The study includes (18450)patients who did visit the pediatric clinic during 2009 , their age is ranging from early days of life up to 15years old , the number of patients affected with diarrhea of different causes was 7752 and the patients complaining from amoebic dysentery were 2640 according to stool examination i.e.the prevalence in our community is 14.3% . 1. A total of 1563 (20.1%) of patients were affected by Entamoeba histolytica cyst and 1077 (13.9%) were affected by Entamoeba histolytica trophozoite . 2. It is more common among male (1490) than female(1150), male to female ratio is 1.3 :1
3. The infection is present throughout the year but it is more common during hot months from around the beginning of April to the end of September .
4. It is accompanied occasionally by complications; intestinal, extra-intestinal, relapses, and even death .
1. Among children in the study there is no age immune to E. histolytica infection. It is more common among age group from two months up to five years old.
2. Infection is more common among male than female.
3. Entamoeba histolytica infection is widely spread among our children and it is more common in sectors in the periphery ( Baladrouz and Mukdadia ) than the center of the governorate mostly explained by the bad sanitation and water pollution